Our Top Recommendation
- Plant-Sourced, Whole-Food Calcium; Reduces the risk of osteoporosis+
- Clinical Strength plant calcium with Vitamin K2 to direct calcium to bones, where you need it most, not where you...
- 3-in-1 Benefit: Bone strength support, joint flexibility & heart health support
What are calcium supplements?
What are these types of supplements used for?
What’s the benefit of choosing a plant based calcium supplement instead of another option?
Calcium supplements are designed to help individuals get enough calcium in their daily diet. For various reasons, particularly related to diet and lifestyle, some people may have a calcium deficiency and may need to build up their body’s supply once again through the use of supplements. Some older women specifically may want to take calcium supplements to reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
Choosing a plant-based calcium supplement means you aren’t getting calcium from dairy-based sources, but from plant ones instead. This is ideal if you’re living a plant-based lifestyle, but it’s also a good choice for anyone who has a sensitivity or allergy to dairy.
But is it really safe to take calcium every day? Aren’t there some health risks?
There are some health risks involved, and for this reason, you should always ask your doctor or dietitian before starting a calcium supplement, even if it’s plant-based. You should never begin taking this type of supplement without medical recommendation first.
Higher levels of calcium in the body may increase the risk of both heart attack and stroke, and it can also increase the risk of kidney stones, prostate cancer, and hypercalcemia. Since there are so many risks associated with calcium supplements, it’s crucial to follow what your doctor tells you regarding dosage and frequency of taking these supplements.
If you have been prescribed calcium supplements and want to choose a plant-based source, however, there are plenty of options for you. In this article, we’ve put together a list of five of our favorite choices to help you get started.
Read on to find some of the best plant based calcium supplements on the market.
1. Deva Vegan Vitamins
Stock up on plenty of calcium supplements with this handy and affordable two-pack of Deva Vegan Vitamins. This supplement contains both calcium and magnesium as well as vitamin D, zinc, vitamin C, boron, and copper, making it packed with plenty of nutrients you need for a healthy lifestyle even if you are enjoying a plant-based diet regularly. This product is a complete vitamin supplement that is sure to make a difference for the better in the way you take care of yourself. Best of all, it’s designed to help you with bone health and heart health at the same time.
- This product is available in a two-pack, a four-pack, or a five-pack, so you can easily buy as many as you need and enjoy a bulk purchase discount in some instances too.
- Many customers feel this product is easier to swallow than some of the others on our list thanks to their more traditional pill size.
- Because these pills must be taken three at a time, it may not be as cost-effective as it seems to buy larger bulk quantities of the product.
- The product has been known to cause kidney stones in some customers, even after only taking them for a few months.
2. EZ Melts Calcium Plus with Vegan D3 and Magnesium
If you need a way to improve your bone health, keep your teeth strong, and enjoy a healthier lifestyle overall at the same time, try these EZ Melts Calcium Plus with Vegan D3 and Magnesium supplements. This product is also designed to help encourage better heart health and to improve the way your body absorbs both D3 and calcium, which can be a common issue in older people as well as in vegans. Choose this supplement if you’re looking for something affordable and functional as well.
- This product is a fast-melting tablet, which means you can let it dissolve in your mouth instead of trying to swallow it if you have trouble with larger pills.
- The product comes in a tasty strawberry smoothie flavor that is easy for many customers to take.
- Some customers feel that this product doesn’t contain enough vitamin D or magnesium to warrant the price, although this is up to individual interpretation.
- Some customers have reported receiving bottles of pills that are old or stale and do not dissolve the way they’re supposed to due to their older age.
3. Naturelo Bone Strength Plant-Based Calcium
Do you need a supplement that can help you encourage healthy bones and prevent osteoporosis as you get older? Are you looking for something that you can absorb a little bit better than some other plant-based supplements out there? How about a supplement that utilizes more than one source for a more complete vitamin? If any of this sounds like you, take a look at the Naturelo Bone Strength Plant-Based Calcium supplements. This product is one of the best-selling and most highly recommended on our list and continues to surprise and delight customers who give it a try.
- This product uses red algae, lichen, and acerola cherries for its sources, so you’re getting more than just one individual source for your vitamins and minerals.
- The product contains minerals such as magnesium, potassium, and zinc, among others, and it’s also packed with plenty of vitamins that can help you absorb the calcium and improve your overall health and wellbeing at the same time.
- Some customers have reported breaking out in a rash from taking this supplement, likely due to an allergy to one of the plant-based sources.
- Because of all of the plant-based, natural sources uses, these capsules have a very strong and unpleasant smell that some customers cannot get beyond.
4. New Chapter Calcium Supplement with Vitamin K2
When you need a supplement that’s packed with lots of nutrients you need for a healthy lifestyle throughout your plant-based experience, you might want to take a look at the New Chapter Calcium Supplement with Vitamin K2. This product contains vitamin K2 as well as D3 along with calcium, and all of its sources are plant-based and safe for a vegan lifestyle as well. This supplement even includes whole food based trace minerals and is designed to keep your bones healthy and strong while encouraging heart health at the same time.
- These tablets are designed to be thinner and lighter weight than many other, similar substances on the market, and are therefore easier to swallow for older patients or those who have trouble usually.
- The ingredients used in this supplement are sustainably sourced and everything has been certified as completely gluten-free in this product.
- Some customers have reported this product causing them to have many stomach problems, including indigestion, bloating, stomach pain, constipation, diarrhea, and other issues.
- In many situations, customers have reported receiving a bottle full of broken pills or, in some rare cases, a bottle that is completely broken itself.
5. Garden of Life mykind Organic Plant Calcium Supplement
If you’re looking for a high-quality whole food source for your calcium needs, consider the Garden of Life mykind Organic Plant Calcium Supplement. This product also contains magnesium so you can get more than just calcium when you need it. The supplement includes 800mg of calcium per dose and utilizes algae as its source, so you never have to worry about whether or not it contains an animal product in its makeup. Best of all, it comes from the well-known and trust Garden of Life brand name.
- This supplement includes vitamin D3 and vitamin K2 as well as calcium and magnesium, and all of these vitamins and nutrients come from plant-based, vegan-appropriate sources.
- All of the sources used in this supplement are whole, real foods and algae, and it does not use any chemical sources at all.
- Some customers feel that there isn’t enough magnesium in this supplement, especially given its higher price tag, and that it doesn’t absorb as well for this reason.
- The product has been known to cause stomach pains and upset in some customers, especially those who have been taking it for a longer period of time.
Did you find the right supplements for your needs? Are you sure plant-based is right for you? Are there any major differences between plant-based calcium supplements and other options or are they more or less the same thing?
The biggest difference is, of course, the source of the calcium. Plant-based supplements should not contain any products or byproducts that aren’t plant-based in nature. They are almost always safe for vegans, and should fit perfectly into a plant-based diet and lifestyle.
Aside from this, however, there aren’t a lot of other differences. These supplements may contain a lower calcium content than dairy-based ones, but they may not, depending on the individual product. In the end, it’s entirely up to you and your healthcare provider to determine whether or not plant-based calcium supplements are right for you.
If they are, pick from our list above and you’ll be sure to find a product that will help you achieve all your health and wellness goals easily.
Last update on 2020-10-18 at 07:35 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.