Our Top Recommendation
What are digestive enzymes?
Can we digest anything without them?
Is there a such thing as a plant based digestive enzyme?
Digestive enzymes are a type of enzyme found in the digestive systems of mammals. They are also found in carnivorous plants and are used by these plants to break down trapped insects.
In humans, these enzymes break down different types of foods into digestible forms. Food is broken down into peptides, glycerol, fatty acids, starch, sugars, nucleotides, and amino acids through the use of digestive enzymes.
Most of the time, digestive enzymes function the way they’re supposed to. In some individuals with digestive disorders, however, these enzymes may not work quite right. When this happens, an enzyme supplement is a good choice to help balance the issue.
Those who live a plant-based lifestyle may be concerned about the ability to find a plant-based digestive enzyme supplement. Rest assured, however, that there are plenty of these available, and finding the right one for your needs shouldn’t be too tricky.
In this article, we’ll show you some basic information about digestive enzymes and give you a list of some of the best on the market currently. This way, you won’t have to worry about being unable to find the right supplement for your plant-based dietary needs.
Read on to find out more about plant based enzymes for digestion.
1. Advanced Digestive Enzymes All Natural Plant Based Supplement
Advanced Digestive Enzymes All Nature Plant Based Supplement is a healthy way to help your body break down fat more efficiently. It can help with malabsorption and is beneficial for those with IBS.
- This product is known to help cut back on bloating and diarrhea.
- The supplement helps improve energy and mental clarity as well.
- This product may raise blood sugar levels, so diabetics should be cautious.
- It may be difficult to find which ingredients are in this particular supplement.
2. Pure Vegan Digestive Enzyme
Pure Vegan Digestive Enzyme sources its ingredients from several different healthy plants and provides lots of different digestive enzymes in one convenient dose. It is designed to help with digestion as well as with absorption of nutrients and is a good way to boost your body’s health through your plant-based diet.
- This product contains both peppermint and ginger to help aid with settling an uneasy stomach and fighting bloating.
- The product is made in an FDA-regulated facility, unlike many others on the market.
- Some customers report seeing no benefit from taking these supplements.
- Some customers feel the product is too expensive, although this is up to interpretation.
3. Digestive Enzymes Plant-Based Complete Spectrum Formula
Choose a bottle of 60 or stock up on a bottle of 120 when you buy this Digestive Enzymes Plant-Based Complete Spectrum Formula . This product contains 18 enzymes to help you digest all of the food you eat more properly, and it helps you fight bloating and gas after eating as well.
- This product has been known to help with acid reflux in some individuals as well as the other benefits it provides.
- The product helps digest gluten and lactose in those who have an intolerance but are not allergic.
- This product does contain some dairy and is, therefore, not entirely plant-based.
- This product contains soy, which some people prefer to avoid.
4. Designs for Health Plant Enzymes Digestive Formula
The Designs for Health Plant Enzymes Digestive Formula is a popular option that provides a quality, thorough, complete enzyme profile in every dose. It does not use any animal ingredients as a source and can help with many different digestive issues.
- Some customers report this product helping significantly with IBS-related symptoms.
- The product is completely gluten-free, unlike some other options that use wheat as a source.
- This supplement does not help with fructose malabsorption issues.
- The supplement may be too large and difficult for some customers to swallow well.
5. P-A-L Plus Plant Based Digestive Enzyme
Try P-A-L Plus Plant Based Digestive Enzyme for a healthy plant-sourced way to get six different enzymes you need. This product contains trace minerals to encourage your body to produce its own enzymes and to use these enzymes more effectively for breaking down the food you eat without causing gas, bloating, constipation, or diarrhea.
- Many customers report this product working very quickly after they first begin taking it.
- These enzymes have helped customers with serious diseases including cancer to feel better and digest their food more properly.
- It can be difficult to determine where some of the ingredients are sourced from with this product.
- Some customers have had worse stomach experiences from this product.
More About Digestive Enzymes
In this section, you’ll be able to check out a quick rundown of digestive enzymes and find out which plant-based sources are some of your best options for these important nutrients.
Can the body make these enzymes itself, or do we get them from food?
Actually, both are true. The body makes its own digestive enzymes, and this is the most common way we as humans get them. In some instances, however, people are not able to make enough digestive enzymes for a wide variety of different reasons. When this happens, it is important to get enzymes from another source instead.
Do we need both sources?
Yes. It is important to have plenty of digestive enzymes in your body to help you digest food properly. Otherwise, you may develop digestive disorders or issues with absorption. You could also suffer from lactose intolerance, IBS, and other problems related to digestion.
What are some natural sources of plant-based digestive enzymes?
Papaya contains papain, which can help cut back on issues related to bloating and constipation.
Banana contains amylases and glucosidases, which break down complex carbohydrates in the body. As a bonus, they are full of fiber, potassium, and healthy calories.
Pineapple contains bromelain, which helps break down protein and provides your body with amino acids. This is especially crucial for plant-based eaters.
Kefir is a drink, which is often found prepackaged. Pay attention to the Kefir you buy and do not drink any with additives or chemical ingredients. Kefir contains lipase, proteases, and lactase, which help you digest lactose.
Sauerkraut encourages your body’s production of digestive enzymes and is also a probiotic. It should be eaten raw and not cooked.
Eating a plant-based diet doesn’t mean you have to be limited in terms of digestive enzyme supplements. If you don’t have digestive issues, you probably don’t need to worry about taking one of these supplements at all. However, if you do, it may be in your best interest to take a supplement to encourage your digestive system to function the way it’s supposed to.
Last update on 2021-10-20 at 22:41 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.