JUMP TO A SECTION:
Our Top Recommendation
- 1st bio-based detergent with the cleaning power of Tide (65% bio-based)
- USDA Certified Tide liquid laundry detergent
- Formula made with 100% renewable wind power electricity at a zero manufacturing waste to landfill site (the same...
If you’re looking for a plant-derived laundry detergent for plant-based laundry, you’re in the RIGHT place. A plant-based detergent with the right eco-friendly laundry detergents is a great way to keep your laundry natural and organic. Switching to plant-based laundry detergents is eco-friendly because organic laundry detergents are natural. Our plant based liquid laundry detergent picks below, of leading natural detergent 1st plant-based detergent with the cleaning, are the best green laundry detergents and pods, a plant-based detergent needs to have. So if plant-based laundry detergents are what you need, please see more below!
What are commercial laundry detergents usually made of?
Here is a list of some of the most common ingredients that you can find in most brands of commercial laundry detergents:
- Sodium tripolyphosphate
- Sodium citrate
- Sodium carbonate
- Chlorine bleach
- Sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium lauryl ether sulfate (SLS/SLES)
- Ammonium sulfate
Are these potentially harmful to us and the environment?
The problem with the regular commercial laundry detergent is that they contain ingredients that are not only toxic for humans, but can also be extremely damaging to the environment.
- In many cases, these harmful ingredients are not even mentioned on the label, which can make it difficult for consumers to know what they are bringing home.
- Chemicals such as acetone, acetaldehyde as well as chloromethane, 1,4-dioxane and limonene are harmful for you as well as the environment.
Does shifting to a plant-based laundry detergent really make a difference?
Most plant based detergents do not contain any toxic and are biodegradable, as well as being free of artificial fragrance, dyes or bleach. This means that they will be easier on your skin, will not cause any respiratory issues and will cause significantly lesser or no damage to the environment and eco-system.
7 Best Plant Based Detergent Brands You Can Buy on Amazon
1. Tide Purclean Plant-Based Laundry Detergent, Unscented by Tide
This is the first bio-based detergent that comes with the cleaning power of Tide. It is 65 percent bio-based and is USDA certified. The formula for this detergent is made with 100 percent renewable wind power electricity with no manufacturing waste to the landfill site. It does not contain any dyes, chlorine, optical brighteners, perfumes or phosphate. This can be used for both High Efficiency (HE) as well as regular washing. The formula also has small amounts of sorbitol, sodium formate as well as phenoxyethanol. It contains coconut derived cleaning agent, water, bio-derived enzymes, pH adjuster, chelant, plant derived processing aid, plant derived surfactants and mineral based enzyme stabilizer.
- Clean clothes.
- Removes stains.
- No pre-wash scent residue.
- Clothes smell clean.
- Can cause over-suds in HE washers.
2. It’s so Pure Natural Scented Deep Cleaning Laundry Detergent Powder Packs by SG Essentials
This is a plant and ion based detergent with plant-based enzymes. It will not leave any residue and is safe for children’s clothes. The fragrance is non-toxic and does not contain any phosphate, bleach, chlorine, sulfate, animal byproducts or toxic chemicals. It does not contain any dye and is safe for itchy skin conditions. The formula uses ion and plant enzymes to remove all odours and stains. It is great for High Efficiency (HE) washers and uses ions to soften the hard water.
- No blue gunky residue.
- Nice fresh subtle smell.
- Comes with measured scooper.
- None as yet.
3. Purtouch Baby Liquid Laundry Detergent, Hypoallergenic for Baby, Infant or Newborn by Dreft
This is a paediatrician recommended baby detergent and is safe to be used on infants and younger children. It is plant-based and will gently clean the clothes. The formula does not contain any dyes, phosphates, optical brighteners or chlorine, and has 65 percent USDA certified bio-based. It will also help to remove 99 percent baby food stains. The detergent has also been recommended by Pampers. You can use it for both regular as well as High Efficiency (HE) washers as well as front and top load washers.
- All clean.
- No leftover dried suds.
- Smells nice.
- Easy to remove grease.
- Not the best packaging.
- Not for those who do not like scents.
4. Method Laundry Detergent Pump With Smartclean Technology by Method
This contains 1 30 ounce bottle of ultra-concentrated and high efficiency laundry detergent. It is naturally derived and helps to clean clothes with just a few squirts. The detergent can be used in high efficiency (HE) as well as regular washing machines and can be used in any water temperature. It is biodegradable, plant based and hypoallergenic and the smartclean technology will help to remove all stains and grease.
- Sturdy bottles.
- Removes stain.
- Gentle on sensitive skin.
- Little works long.
- Not the best for sensitive skin.
5. Free & Clear Natural Laundry Detergent Deep Clean by Seventh Generation
This is a bio-based formula that has been USDA certified. Even the bottle that it comes in is 100 percent recycled. This detergent is guaranteed to give you a deep clean and is safe for even those with sensitive skin. It does not contain any dyes, artificial brighteners or fragrance.
- Good for sensitive skin.
- Cleans well.
- Removes itching by detergents.
- Has a scent.
6. Biokleen Concentrated HE Laundry Detergent Liquid with Citrus Essence
This formula cleans dirt and removes odour without leaving any residue. It has a gentle scent, is eco-friendly, plant-based, non-toxic and does not contain any artificial colours, preservatives, caustics, borax, metasilicates or fragrance. It contains grapefruit-seed and orange extracts.
- Lasts long.
- Cleans cloth diapers.
- Lesser suds.
- Light scent.
- Can’t remove tough stains.
7. Planet 2x HE Ultra Free & Clear Laundry Liquid Detergent
This formula will work in High Efficiency (HE) as well are regular washers. It is hypoallergenic and has no added dyes, fragrances or synthetic preservatives. It is 100 percent biodegradable certified and is plant-based. The product is not tested on animals.
- Keeps whites white.
- Brightens colours.
- Suitable for all fabrics.
- Removes grease.
- Leaves film on clothes.
3 tips to make sure that your clothes are clean and smell great when using plant based detergent
- Use it first as a spot-treater if you have especially dirty clothes with stains.
- For best results, soak your clothes for a little longer than mentioned, especially for the first use.
- Check the quantity and use as mentioned, as using more can create too much suds, which can make it difficult for the detergent to rinse out properly.
Read the instructions on each package and use accordingly, as they may be different for different brands.
Last update on 2021-10-20 at 23:39 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.