What does it mean to get your certificate in plant based nutrition?
Is this the same as having a nutritionist degree, or is it something different?
What kinds of work can you do with a plant based nutrition certificate?
Depending on the type of certification you get and the sort of practice you run, you have a few options when you achieve your certification. Here are a few options you may have when you become a certified plant based nutritionist:
- Create meal plans: You’ll be able to put together meal plans for your clients based on their specific needs and any health problems they may have.
- Recommend diet strategies: You can custom-tailor diet plans to your clients and help them determine which strategies will work best for them.
- Provide consultation services for health and wellness: You’ll be able to offer initial consultation services and help clients learn how to fight back against diseases with a plant base diet.
If any of this sounds interesting to you, read on to find out more about getting your plant based nutritionist certification.
JUMP TO A SECTION:
Lessons Learned in a Plant Based Nutrition Certification Program
If you’re looking to get a certificate plant-based nutrition, you may be wondering just what to expect from the program. Check out the list below to find out more about the concepts and ideas you’ll be learning when you choose one of the many programs that are available to you. Remember that some programs focus on certain aspects more than others, so keep this in mind when deciding.
- Plant based nutrition principles and concepts: With this type of certification, you’ll learn the basis of plant based nutrition. You’ll understand how to make a balanced diet and how to work with other health and wellness needs, such as gluten-free or low-sodium plans as well. Even if you go into the program with no understanding of plant based nutrition, you’ll quickly learn everything you need to know and more.
- Proper diet and nutrition skills and how valuable they are: You’ll learn how to maintain a proper plant based diet and to ensure that all nutrition needs are being met even without eating meat. You’ll also be educated in the value of this type of diet so you can pass this information along to your clients and ensure everyone you recommend plant based diets to gets the most out of the experience.
- Using a plant based diet to prevent or reduce the risk of diseases: Getting your certification will help you learn to focus the needs of your individual clients and help them create a plant based meal plan and diet strategy that will encourage the prevention of diseases. Depending on the client and the disease in question, you may be able to help reverse the impact or spread of some diseases through a plant based diet as well. Although this is not going to work every time for every client, this type of certification will help you better determine when to recommend plant based eating as an option for the treatment of disease.
- Practical applications of plant based nutrition training, including meal planning: When you’re certified, you’ll learn how to appropriately construct meal plans and ensure you’re making plans that are custom tailored to clients’ individual needs. This will also help you learn how to balance health needs and account for any health risks your clients may have, too. And as an added bonus, you can learn how to incorporate the application of a plant based diet into your regular nutritionist work, so you don’t have to keep the two completely separate from each other.
- Client coaching skills: Last but not least, you’ll be able to improve your skills at coaching and speaking to clients through your program and training. You’ll learn how to recommend the right kinds of diet plans and how to offer these suggestions even when your clients may be less inclined to accept the idea at first. The more you study and practice, the more you’ll be able to deal with clients in every aspect of your job, and you’ll feel more confident in your ability to create the right plans and strategies for them as well.
Where to Get Certified
Now that you know a little bit more about what to expect from your degree in plant based nutrition, it’s a good idea to figure out where you’re going to get certified. There are many options out there, and the prices for these courses vary as well. Check out our list below to help you find a good option for your specific needs and situation.
1. eCornell Plant Based Nutrition Certificate Program
VISIT THEM HERE: https://www.ecornell.com/certificates/nutrition/plant-based-nutrition/
Online or In-Person: Online
This is an online-only plant based nutritionist degree offered through Cornell University. The program includes three courses, each of which is two weeks long and must be taken separately—so the whole program lasts six weeks. It covers the basics of the plant based nutrition certification and ensures you have all the information you need to get started in this type of work easily. The majority of the course is taught through video presentation, and you will have access to several lecturers you can reach out to if you have any questions or want to learn more.
2. AFPA Holistic Nutritionist Certification
VISIT THEM HERE: https://store.afpafitness.com/holistic-nutritionist-certification/
Online or In-Person: Online
If you prefer to do your distance learning a little differently, you may be interested in the AFPA Holistic Nutritionist Certification program. This plant based nutrition degree gives you all the information you need to get started consulting clients on the prevention and reversal of diseases by changing their diets to whole foods and plant based ones. Although the class is conducted entirely online, you do have the option to purchase physical print textbooks and a print exam when you chose this program. Keep in mind, however, that you’ll have to pay extra if you want these materials, so it may not be ideal for everyone.
3. Rouxbe Plant Based Professional Certification Course
VISIT THEM HERE: https://rouxbe.com/plant-based-certification-course/
Online or In-Person: Online
When you choose the Rouxbe Plant Based Professional Certification Course, you’ll get access to 85 lessons and 200 unique videos that can help you learn your new trade in no time. You’ll get all the basics and learn a little more about gluten-free, low sodium, and other variations on the plant based nutrition diet, too. The plant based nutrition certification program is designed to be completed in less than six months, so you’ll be able to get started using your new skills and certification in the work place without having to spend a lot of time getting through your classes first.
4. Udemy Vegan Nutrition Health Coach Certification
VISIT THEM HERE: https://www.udemy.com/vegan-cooking-and-nutrition-health-coach-certification/
Online or In-Person: Online
The Udemy Vegan Nutrition Health Coach Certification course is more about teaching you how to coach others on their diets and meal plans. You will also learn the basic theories related to a plant based diet when you choose this course, and you’ll develop the skills required to impart this information to your clients when the time comes, too. This plant based nutrition certificate program is also marketed toward any individuals who are interested in getting started on a plant based diet, however, so keep this in mind if you’re looking for something that might be a little more specialized for your work practice.
5. Main Street Vegan Academy Certified Vegan Lifestyle Coach & Educator Program
VISIT THEM HERE: https://mainstreetvegan.net/academy/
Online or In-Person: In-Person
This is a six-day plant based nutrition course that is designed to train individuals in the skills and abilities needed to educate others on a plant-based diet. This is a “crash course” in plant-based nutrition needs that is ideal for anyone looking to get started recommending these diets right away to clients. However, keep in mind that this is not a very in-depth course and is more focused on speaking to clients than it is on health and nutrition needs. It also requires the individual signing up to be a vegan, and since it is only held in New York City, it may not be the best choice for everyone.
Are you ready to sign up for your plant based nutrition courses, or are you still a little unsure? Do you even really need to do this? Do you have to have this certification before you can offer plant based nutritional advice or consultation? These requirements may change depending on where you live, but for the most part, you don’t have to have this type of certification simply to recommend a plant based diet to your clients. However, in order to make meal plans or suggest this type of diet for disease prevention or reversal purposes, you should be certified.Keep this in mind to help you narrow down your choices and determine how to become a plant based nutritionist on your own terms. When you choose to get your plant based nutrition certification, you’ll be ready to recommend this type of diet to your clients any time.